West Berlin, Germany, 1985
11 x 43 x 46’ / 300 x 1300 x 1400 cm
In a World War II bomb site where an old Jewish synagogue had been, a crater-like landscape was formed of mud and earth. During this process, bones, cartridges, and bullets from World War II were found. The site was fired for seven days. The following spring, from the ashes, new life emerged, in a place where nothing had grown since the bomb fell—hence the name, Navel of the Earth.